EURO Doctoral Dissertation Award 2018 (Announcement)
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
- The EDDA 2018 jury will only consider dissertations in Operational Research defended between 1 February 2016 and 31 January 2018. The dissertation must have been defended in a University located in a member country of EURO. The author of the dissertation must be a member of a member society of EURO.
- To be considered, a dissertation should be nominated by the supervisor of the thesis (one of them in case of multiple supervisors). The supervisor of the dissertation is asked to provide the jury with the following information:
- The text of the dissertation;
- An extended abstract (3 to 5 pages) of the dissertation; this abstract should be written in English and should include precise keywords;
- An itemization of the candidate's contribution to each co-authored article if the dissertation contains co-authored articles (i.e., published papers or unpublished manuscripts);
- If the dissertation is not in English, a paper in English which has been authored or co-authored by the candidate and which describes the core ideas of the dissertation. This paper should preferably have been published in or submitted to an international journal;
- Nomination letters (or reports) from two referees selected by the dissertation supervisor, supporting the submission and stating their assessment of why the dissertation should win the award;
- An up-to-date CV of the candidate, including a list of publications.
No nomination will be considered without these items. Please also check the guidelines.
Since many doctoral dissertations in OR are defended each year, the jury would like to remind supervisors that only outstanding pieces of work have a reasonable chance of winning the award.
- The jury selects a short-list of finalists who will present their work in a special session at the 29th European Conference on Operational Research in Valencia. There is no registration fee for each finalist. EURO will also contribute to the travel and accommodation expenses. The winner will be determined by the jury at the end of the special session and will be announced by the chair of the jury during the closing session of the EURO 2018 Conference.
- The period for nominations for the 2018 EDDA is not yet open. It will be announced in September 2017.